Friday, May 11, 2012

BLAST OFF!!!!!!!!

So.... where were we?  PART 2 of the JetPack project! Ah, yes....

I found some old electrical tape in the basement and used it to embellish my rocket boosters...


I also cut the strap off an old messenger bag (that I've been "s'posed to fix"for about 4 years), cut it into two equal lengths, and affixed them to the "back plate" using duct tape.  *I decided on duct tape so I could easily remove it and expand the straps if Sammy grows.  Chances are he will.  
(Will the JetPack --or it's appeal-- last that long?  Who knows?)


I threaded the straps through the slits and taped them to themselves.


A also crossed them in front in order to insure it stays on well while playing!!


Then came the gluing of the bottles onto the back plate...

This was somewhat of a momentary debacle.  I tried Hot Glue first.  Now, I'd actually tested hot glue on a plastic coke bottle at work the night before, because I thought it would melt.  Well, apparently my glue gun is hotter because the bottle at work was fine, but mine warped and started to melt.  Cut to: Gorilla Glue. That worked!  I also added a bit more electrical tape to hold the two bottles together...


...I DID use the Hot Glue in the mouth of the bottle to attach the flames.  I felt confident that the plastic was thick enough there to withstand the heat....


Then I thought, "Oh! What if one of the straps was snapped or velcro'd on so that it was easier to get on and off?! So I tried.... but the hot glue was not good for snaps.  Lesson learned. They came off almost instantly.  I ended up doing the duct tape method on all four!  Just made it all a bit looser so that Sam didn't stress about getting it on and off over his head!




(Hot gluing snaps: BAD IDEA)

WELL.... ALL WAS ASSEMBLED AND IT WAS TIME TO TRY IT OUT!!!

My little Rocketman was very eager and even grabbed a helmet! Safety First!



On it went:


...lookin' good!


And... BLAST OFF!!!!


(The helmet was cramping his style apparently...)


ZOOOM!



 



Desolate Planet:


Uncharted territory...



The inhabitants of this planet must be Yankees Fans!





All in all... a successful mission!  Now I have to make some matching Adult-Sized ones and one for our 3-month old, so the whole family can fly!!!!

BLAST OFF!!!!!


GD*BG

2 comments:

  1. Wish I read through your comments before I started crafting last night... hot glue on the bottles... BAD idea! I pulled it together but it was scary at the time. Note to self: don't get mad at hubby next time he doesn't read directions, only looks at the pictures! lol. Found this on pinterest. My son's Halloween costume's going to be awesome! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete