Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Peach Popsicles!

....or ice lollies as we call them in Britain (but "ice lolly" didn't make for such a good blog post title!)

So the other morning while eating my breakfast I happened to be watching this show on the Food Network channel and Andy Bates visited this really great looking shop in Chelsea Market, NYC called People's Pops. (I am defo going there on my next visit!) A company that makes healthy-ish, interesting, alternative ice lollies. The show featured a brief outline of how they made their "roasted peach and ginger popsicle", looked pretty simple.....I could make that I thought, so I gave it a go!

First of all I bought 6 donut peaches, they're smaller than your standard peach so I figured 6 would give me a fair amount to work with once baked. I rinsed them under the tap - you never know where they may have been - put them in a roasting tin and baked them in the oven.


While these were cooking I made a ginger syrup, following the instructions featured in an earlier post on this blog, except using a 2 inch long piece of fresh ginger cut into thin slices rather than the rosemary.

After about 35 minutes in the oven the peaches smelled delish! I took that as a sign they were baked, so removed them from the oven and let them cool for a bit until they were cold enough to handle. Then I pulled them apart, removing the stones and stalks, and dropped the flesh, skins and all, into a mixing bowl.


Tipped the syrup in on top and mashed the whole lot with a fork to break up the peaches a bit. At this point Andy on the tv show said the ingredients were put in a blender, well I don't have a blender but I do have one of those soup blender wand things, so I used that to mix everything up to a purée. Then I transferred the whole lot to a glass jug, for the only reason that it would be easier to pour into the lolly moulds.


As you can see, the 6 peaches and bit of syrup made 1/2 a litre of lolly mixture! This filled all 4 of my moulds and I had spare, probably enough for one more lolly.

The moulds, topped right up as high as possible.


Then the stick lids went on and into the freezer overnight. 
The result.....



Ta-dah! One Roasted Peach and Ginger Popsicle. (Yep my moulds have a built in straw to ensure not a drop is wasted! Fancy!!) 

I'm telling you frozen roasted peaches on a hot day is the way ahead! 

note:

My only note is that I couldn't taste the ginger at all. Maybe next time I should grate the ginger before I add it to the syrup rather than slice it, getting as much juice out as possible? Or perhaps add tiny pieces of chopped up crystallised ginger for an added kick? Hmmm not sure, any advice?



No comments:

Post a Comment