Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hidden vegetables!

Home on a Friday means baking something for the weekend and maybe give a new recipe a try, well it'd be rude not to, right?


So, as peaches are in season mixed with the fact I'd been watching a food programme which used sweet potato in a candy I thought I'd search for a recipe to use both these ingredients. Yes, I found one! 

A lovely friend lent me a cookery book, (like a hundred years ago and I've yet to give it back), which contains recipes for just such an occasion and hooray instructions to make Peach and Poppy Seed muffins was contained within! 

They were really simple to make and the finished result was really tasty, see below, I dare you not to salivate or dribble while looking at the picture! Oh and their gluten free too! (You're welcome!)

 
Now for the recipe....

Peach and Poppy Seed Muffins
(Taken from "Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache" by Harry Eastwood.)

Makes 9

2 free range eggs
120g caster sugar
200g peeled and finely grated sweet potato
100g white rice flour 
100g ground almonds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
2 teaspoons baking powder
Half teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Quarter teaspoon salt
3 small peaches cut into half centimetre cubes

You will also need 
12 hole muffin tray 
9 muffin cases

1. Preheat oven to 180c / 350f / gas mark 4 and line the muffin tray with the cases.
2. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy (this takes about 3 minutes).
3. Beat in (using a wooden spoon) the sweet potato, flour, ground almonds, poppy seeds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt until well mixed, don't over mix.
4. Fold in the cubes of peach, do this gently, don't over mix.
5. Fill the muffin cases right up to the top.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes.
7. Remove from oven onto a wire rack to cool.

Notes! 
I didn't have any rice flour so I used plain flour, obviously this makes them non gluten free but the use of plain flour didn't seem to affect the results.
I used a wooden spoon as instructed to mix in all the ingredients and then switched to a large metal spoon to fold in the peach pieces as this type of spoon cut through the mixture better.
I only had a 6 hole muffin tray so I used that, baked 6, left the rest of the mixture in the bowl then baked the remaining 3 while the 6 were cooling. 

Good warm or cold. I'm pretty sure warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream would make a yummy dessert! Note to self....try this! 

GD*BG





No comments:

Post a Comment