Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Zebra cake.

Yeah you did read that correctly! Don't panic though, it doesn't contain Zebras!!

In the hiatus between the awesome Olympics tv coverage finishing in the UK (the whole country seems to be in a sort of sporting limbo!) and the Paralympics starting, the foodie programmes have begun; a sure sign autumn is approaching!

One of the new generation of tv chefs is the gorgeous Lorraine Pascale, her new series (her second I believe) started last week and in the first episode was her "Crouching Tiger Hidden Zebra Cake" here's a link to the recipe. Of course I'm always up for a baking challenge and so was super excited to see this one on the show.

The recipe is enough to make two round 20cm diameter cakes. I a) don't have two 20cm cake tins and b) only really wanted to make one cake as if it turned into a disaster I hadn't wasted too many ingredients or too much money. So I figured...I'll just halve all the ingredients thus making enough for just one cake. Then I got paranoid that maybe that's not what you're supposed to do.... I know I'll Tweet Lorraine herself and ask - I never expected to get a reply but at least I'd have tried to find out if halving the quantities was ok. Holy cake batter I got a reply! She said "unfortunately not really....:(" What? Why? Oh what the heck, I'm too excited at the prospect of making a stripy cake....I'm doing it anyway.

Turns out it was fine!

This is the batter in the tin ready to go in the oven. I didn't think to take pics to blog this until I got to this point, sort of convinced that because Lorraine had said it wouldn't work, well, it wouldn't. But once I got to this stage and it almost looked right I decided it may just work!

The batter.

Then there's always that moment that you dare to look in the oven (or is that just me?) when it's baking....just to check it's working! It was..see:


 The oven 

Cooked and out of the oven to cool...still looks ok!


 I don't normally cut my cakes completely in half buy it was the only way to see if it had worked. 
Not bad for a first attempt I'd say.


It went down very well with a cup of tea, sat in the parents garden, in the sunshine. 


One thing not mentioned on the recipe, but Lorraine did on the tv, is that she put the batter mixes in piping bags (instead of using spoonfuls as the recipe states) and piped big dots one on top of the other. So I did that too.  (I was ambidextrous piping - don't ask - it was messy!) That's why my mix in the tin looks a bit swirly, it's amazing how much the "centre dot" moves around the tin as you pipe one onto the next. When I have another attempt at this, oh yes there will definitely be another! I will try and keep it more central so the stripes in the cake are more defined.

"The Great British Bake Off" is this evening foodie tv viewing choice, then "The Hairy Dieters" I do love a good foodie programme!

If you give this zebra cake a go, please post a comment on here and let me know how you get on.
Happy baking!

GD*BG

1 comment:

  1. I actually think your pattern looks great and assumed you'd done it on purpose!

    ReplyDelete